Here’s the thing about sharing a refrigerator with three roommates: you get a whole one shelf for your own food.
Or, in my case, the two “crisper” drawers by your feet.
Not much room for storing leftovers, to say the least! If I cook a big batch of anything for dinner, you can bet that’s all I’m eating for the next four days. No, stir fry, I cannot make you tonight. I have a drawer full of lasagna to eliminate before it goes bad and starts growing an alien civilization. No harsh feelings.
Yup, that Julia-to-food conversation happens…
Even though I do have roommates, our schedules are so different that we all make our own meals. And, damn, this whole cooking-for-one thing is a pain! Once you open a jar of marinara sauce, you’re stuck using that sauce in every dang meal you make for the rest of the week (is there not a solution to eliminating expiration dates, science geniuses of the world?!).
And that’s exactly what inspired today’s recipe, which–you guessed it–used up my marinara sauce.
Italian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Serves 3 to 4
- Cooking spray (or olive oil)
- 3 to 4 bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey breast
- 1 8-oz container mushrooms, sliced
- 1 6-oz bag baby spinach
- 1/2 24-oz jar marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Whole grain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly coat peppers with cooking spray, place in baking dish, and roast for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool until safe to handle later.
- While peppers are in oven, cook quinoa and ground turkey according to package instructions.
- Heat cooking spray or olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet on the stove. Add mushrooms and saute until soft, then add spinach and saute until slightly wilted.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, ground turkey, mushrooms, spinach, tomato sauce, and spices.
- Carefully spoon quinoa mixture into each bell pepper. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and bread crumbs on top of each stuffed pepper.
- Cook in oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!